Hello Garfield Families,
Today during morning recess for kinder and first graders, we discovered that a fire extinguisher had been sprayed on the blacktop and play structure. It is possible that some children may have been exposed to the powdered material from the fire extinguisher.
Contact with the eyes, nose, throat, and skin can cause irritation, which should improve after rinsing the exposed area. All kindergarten and first-grade students who were outside were instructed to go inside and all students thoroughly washed their hands. We have not seen any symptoms since that time.
Symptoms to watch for include nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. If you have a concern, please contact your doctor or the Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
This area has been blocked off and the campus steward is washing all contaminated surfaces. We are keeping students inside for lunch and afternoon recess.